5 Reasons We Should Tame The Tongue
James 3:1-12 speaks about to tame the tongue, we need to pay attention to the word which teaches about the right and the wrong use of the tongue.
Our tongues need to be used helpfully, for the glory of God and for the blessing of others; or they can be misused, which may bring sorrow and tears to others, and may hinder the testimony of the Lord.
James shows us the tongue of a Christian indicates the condition of his spiritual health, we come to know what kind of a Christian we are. Let us understand what power the tongue has over our lives:
1. The tongue can direct
The tongue has been described as the bit and the rudder in this chapter of James, which means it can direct others into the right or the wrong path. Beware of idle words, half-truth, and deliberate lies, these can change the course of a life and lead it to destruction.
But good and right words can remove someone from sin and into salvation.
2 The tongue has the power to destroy
The tongue is a small member of the body, but it can cause great destruction. A tiny spark can set a whole forest on fire, and the tongue is like a small flame.
An evil tongue can also spread poison. On the other hand, a spiritual tongue is medicine. It will heal and not hurt.
3 The tongue can delight
As it is not possible for a spring to produce both fresh and salty water, the tongue too cannot speak blessing and cursing at the same time.
Let us learn the right and wrong uses of the tongue below which is so important for us believers to know:
1. Wrong use of Tongue
1. By blaming God when we are tempted to do wrong (James 1:13-14) because God never tempts us to sin and temptation arises when a man falls prey to his own lust.
2. When we speak hypocritically (James 1:26). This is done by most people and a terrible thing about it is written in Titus 1:16.
3 Speaking discriminatingly between the rich and poor fellow-believers (James 2:1-4). We discriminate when we speak on the basis of people's color, background, and status.
4. Speaking unkindly or unsympathetically about those who are in need (James 2:15-16). as millions live in poverty, we need to be sympathetic and kind to them and not be unsympathetic.
5. When we boast and speak flattering words we cause a destructive fire (James 3:5). One careless word can upset or divide a family or a church; James 3:14.
6. When we grumble with each other (James 4:12; 5:9). Romans 14:12-13 says, "Each of us will have to answer for himself to God, so stop criticizing one another!”
7. When we use swearing or blaspheming words (James 5:12). We as Christians should not be careless with our words and take the name of the Lord in vain like the non-Christians.
2. Right Use of The Tongue
1. To praise God (James 3:9), we use our tongue to praise our Heavenly Father.
2. To pray to God for wisdom (James 1:5-6). For those in trouble (James 5:13-16), for healing (James 5:14-15). To sing to the Lord (James 5:13).
We speak about being the hands and feet of Jesus in this world but what about out tongues? Let us surrender our tongue to the Lord and ask Him to control it today.